CURL review request

Alix Pexton alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.DOT.com
Tue Aug 16 14:33:53 PDT 2011

On 16/08/2011 17:38, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Alix Pexton"<alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.DOT.com>  wrote in message
> news:j2dsq0$2aht$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> "...returns the number of elements in the buffer that has been filled and
>> is ready to send." ->  "...returns the number of elements in the buffer
>> that have been filled and are ready to send."
>>

> "in the buffer that has been filled" is correct. The "has" refers to "the
> buffer" not the elements that have been put into it. And there's only one
> buffer in question, so "has".
>
> But yea, "is ready to send" should be changed to "are ready to send".

I suspected my edit was off in this case (from a technical point of
view), but it is still poor use of English (imho). If the buffer has
been "filled" then the return will equal its capacity, otherwise filled
seems to be the wrong word. Perhaps changed "filled" to "written"?

>> "Asynchronous HTTP _WHATEVER_ to the specified URL." ->  "Performs a HTTP
>> _WHATEVER_ on the specified URL, asynchronously."
>
> "Performs a HTTP" ->  "Performs an HTTP". The letter "H" may technically be a
> consonant, but in this case it's read as the *name* of the letter, not the
> letter's normal sound. And the name of H starts with a vowel sound (long A).
> (Besides, "a HTTP" just sounds awkward.)
>
> Also, little bikeshedding, but I think this would be better still:
>
> "Performs an asynchronous HTTP _WHATEVER_ on the specified URL."

I played with this word order too, but I must admit the a/an thing snook
through between many of my rewrites, good catch ^^

A...