CURL review request

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Aug 16 15:21:07 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:32 Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:48:51 +0200, jdrewsen <jdrewsen at nospam.com> wrote:

> >> I was also wondering about the async handling. In the long-term I'd like
> >> to see a bigger picture for async handling in phobos (offering some kind
> >> of futures, maybe event-loops etc.).
> >> Though this is not a requirement for the curl wrapper now.
> >> std.parallelism also has some kind of this stuff and file reading would
> >> benefit from it too.
> >
> > This has been discussed before and I also think this is very important.
> > But before that I think some kind of package management should be
> > prioritized (A DIP11 implementaion or a more traditional solution).
> >
> >> One thing I spotted at a quick glance, sending to be filled buffers to
> >> another thread should not be done by casting to shared not immutable.
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure what you mean. There is no use of shared buffers
> > in the wrapper. I do cast the buffer between mutable/immutable because
> > only immutable or by value data can be passed using std.concurrency.
> > Since the buffers are only used by the thread that currently has the
> > buffer this is safe. I've previously asked for a non-cast solution (ie.
> > some kind of move between threads semantic for std.concurrency) but was
> > advised that this was the way to do it.
> >
> >> martin
>
> Pardon the typo. What I meant is that AFAIK casting from immutable to
> mutable has undefined behavior.
> The intended method for sending a uint[] buffer to another thread is to
> cast that
> buffer to shared (cast(shared(uint[])) and casting away the shared on the
> receiving side.
> It is allowed to send shared data using std.concurrency.

Casting away immutability and then altering data is undefined. Actually
casting it away is defined. So, if you have data in one thread that you know
is unique, you can cast it to immutable (or std.exception.assumeUnique to do
it) and then send it to another thread. On that thread, you can then cast it
to mutable and alter it.

However, you're circumventing the type system when you do this. So, you have
to be very careful. You're throwing away the guarantees that the compiler
makes with regards to const and immutable. It _is_ guaranteed to work though.
And I'm not sure that there's really any difference between casting to shared
and back and casting to immutable and back. In both cases, you're
circumventing the type system. The main difference would be that if you
screwed up with immutable and cast away immutable on something that really was
immutable rather than something that you cast to immutable just to send it to
another thread, then you could a segfault when you tried to alter it, since it
could be in ROM.

- Jonathan M Davis