CURL review request

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed Aug 17 09:21:00 PDT 2011

> On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:30:06 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> Why is this cleaner than casting to immutable and back?
>>
>> Once it's immutable, it can never be mutable again.  Casting to immutable
>> is a one-way street.  Yes, you can cast to mutable, but you still can't
>> change the data unless you want undefined behavior.
>>
>> Shared is not like that, an item can be thread-local, then shared, then
>> thread local again, all the time being mutable.  It also reflects better
>> what the process is (I'm sharing this data with another thread, then that
>> thread is taking ownership).  There's still the possibility to screw up,
>> but at least you are not in undefined territory in the
>> correctly-implemented case.
>
> Are you sure? As I understand it, there's no real difference between casting to
> immutable and back and casting to shared and back. Both circumvent the type
> system. In the one case, the type system guarantees that the data can't be
> altered, and you're breaking that guarantee, because you know that it _can_
> be, since you created the data and know that it's actually mutable.

No. As soon as the data is typed as immutable anywhere it cannot be
changed anymore. You only break guarantees if you actually try to change
the data (otherwise std.typecons.assumeUnique would perform its job
outside defined behavior btw)

> In the
> other case, the type system guarantees that the data is thread-local and
> therefore thread-safe, and you're breaking that guarantee by casting it to
> shared. On the other end, you're then casting it back, since you know that the
> data isn't actually shared. In both cases, you're circumventing the compiler's
> guarantees. In both cases, you've claimed that it's thread for th second
> thread to use the data, when if you screwed up and left references to it in
> the first thread, then it isn't. I don't really see the difference.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

You don't break any guarantees when casting away shared if you know that
the data is actually not shared anymore.
(Of course, if it is actually still shared between multiple threads,
this is about as bad as altering data which is typed as immutable
somewhere.)

You don't break any guarantees if you don't actually break them. The
casts are just there because the compiler is unable to verify that you
don't.

Therefore casting to immutable and back and then changing data is bad,
but casting data to shared, transferring ownership to another single
thread and then casting back to unshared is good.