etc.curl: Formal review begin

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Thu Aug 18 01:55:52 PDT 2011

Jesse Phillips wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 01:12:20 +0200, David Nadlinger wrote:
>
>> Now that Lars Kyllingstad's new and improved std.path has passed the
>> vote  – congratulations, Lars! –, and Jose Armando Garcia, the
>> author of the proposed logging module, is currently not available,
>> the etc.curl module by Jonas Drewsen is at the front of the review
>> queue. I have volunteered to run the formal process for inclusion
>> with Phobos.
>(Sep 1 - Sep 7).
>>
>> Code:
>>    https://github.com/jcd/phobos/blob/curl-wrapper/etc/curl.d
>>
>> API documentation:
>>    http://freeze.steamwinter.com/D/web/phobos/etc_curl.html
>>
>> ---
>> Known issues:
>>   * DDoc is not generated where the mixins ByLineAsync, ByLineSync,
>> ByChunkAsync and ByLineSync are used. This seems to be a limitation
>> of ddoc - suggestions on how to circumvent this appreciated.
>>
>> Possible improvements:
>>   * Progress may be deprecated in the future. Maybe implement a
>>   replacement.
>>   * Support typed http headers - (Johannes Pfau)
>> ---
>
>I'll try my best to actually make use of this for testing it.
>
>My first thought here is that I don't like the idea of including
>something that is already being considered for deprecation. If it
>isn't good enough lets hold off putting it in.

I agree, but I think I should point out, that only curls _builtin_
progress callback might be removed in the future. The progress
functionality could still be implemented in the wrapper without
changing the public API, so this change would be transparent to users.

So we won't gain much from implementing this right now.
--
Johannes Pfau