CURL review request

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Aug 18 06:40:01 PDT 2011

On 8/18/11 6:48 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2011-08-18 10:37, bearophile wrote:
>> Jonas Drewsen:
>>
>>> If a decent package management tool was added to D which could handle
>>> downloading the binary lib for you then wouldn't that be an okey
>>> solition for you?<
>>
>> What I think is acceptable is to put now the binary of the Windows
>> library inside the zip of the DMD distribution. Once that decent
>> package management tool will be present and working on Windows, you
>> will be free to remove the binary lib, if you want (but I suggest to
>> not do it, because D std library is suppsed to have few batteries
>> included, and today accessing the web is a basic need. Maybe even the
>> package management tool needs a curl to download the files, so we are
>> back to the start).
>
> Curl could be statically linked and the package manager would have no
> problem.

I think we need to include curl with the Windows distribution. It's
reasonable to assume connectivity is a broadly needed feature. We must
solve the zip bloating issue for Unix people by breaking the zip per
platform. Next to nobody ever wants to have Windows, Linux, FreeBSD,
OSX, etc. files in the same distribution.

Andrei