Chances of D getting proper runtime reflection?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Aug 21 23:41:38 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-22 00:35, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 8/21/11 1:19 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>>
>>> You don't need to annotate it:
>>>
>>> void serialize(T)(T something);
>>>
>>> You have access to all the CT reflection stuff, and can generate the
>>> necessary runtime reflection with that.
>>
>> I already have a fully working serialization library. I'm hoping to make
>> it better. The problem is when (de)serializing through a base class
>> reference. Currently you need to register the subclass with the
>> serializer. If T is Base and the actually runtime type is Sub it won't
>> work.
>
> If we get to the point where adding one line of code inside or
> (preferably) outside a type to make it serializable, that would be great.
>
> Andrei

That's already what I have and it's only necessary to register
subclasses that are serialized through base class references. If we get
runtime reflection as I suggested in my original post, that wouldn't be
needed. In addition to that I was hoping it would make it easier to
implement a binary archive.

Project page: http://www.dsource.org/projects/orange
Source code: https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orange

--