A few comments about D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Aug 23 02:56:59 PDT 2011

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:j2v5oc$12i1$1 at digitalmars.com...
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/d-is-d-programming-language-just-too-much-898862/
>
> Andrei

Hi,

I also don't use D, being more of a lurker in Go and D forums, wondering
when a better systems language will eventual replace C and C++.

I am also language agnostic, I use C, C++, JVM languages, .Net languages,
whatever is required/requested by the current project.

Regarding the forum question and using a format similar to Marco's answer:

- Garbage collection:  Since the late 90's there are research
operating systems written with system programming languages that are 100% GC
enabled. No issue here for me, except to say that it needs to be improved
and
the way D enables pointers, leaves out many GC optimization algorithms.

- Delegates: The only problem I see is that D provides two ways of specifing
delegates.one being D only and the other one for C/C++ interfacing. This
might confuse
people.

- unit tests/ddoc -  There are plus and minus for having in the compiler,
personally I prefer to have such type of features in tools or libraries.

- compile app.d - I see this as a very nice feature. I was spoiled by Turbo
Pascal which
did already something similar in the MS-DOS days.

- the language is still not mature - Andrei's book still does not fully
replace the language and
when one browses the mailing lists there are still quite a few features
being discussed, not clear
enough what the direction ought to be.

For me as a language geek, it is understandable that these things take time,
but they cause a
bad impression for people considering to use D.

And the comment about F# is spot on. It is easier to get a client approval
to use F#, Scala, Clojure
even Haskell on a new project than D, because there are quite a few big
companies/projects using them.
With lots of war stories how these languages helped their companies become
more sucessfull, in all major
developer conferences. Marketing pays off.

--
Paulo