A few comments about D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Aug 23 04:53:47 PDT 2011

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:j300i9$2io2$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Paulo Pinto:
>
>> - the language is still not mature - Andrei's book still does not fully
>> replace the language and
>> when one browses the mailing lists there are still quite a few features
>> being discussed, not clear
>> enough what the direction ought to be.
>
> It's the other way round. Those discussions are a sign of good health for
> any language, they are necessary.
> Every language actively used has similar discussions, even Fortran and
> Ada. See as example:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/

In Python's case ideas which end up in PEPs.

>> And the comment about F# is spot on. It is easier to get a client
>> approval
>> to use F#, Scala, Clojure
>> even Haskell on a new project than D, because there are quite a few big
>> companies/projects using them.
>
> Haskell was created as "laboratory language", and today it has more design
> discussions than D still :-)
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

True, but if I mention Haskell-98 or Haskell-2010, I am sure that there are
compilers on the wild that
support such standard.

While D has a semi-official standard, Andrei's book, that does not map to
any existing compiler.

You don't need to convice me, I know the benefits of D. You need however to
convince people
that come to D forums and leave conviced that the language is not mature
enough for what they want
to use it.

--
Paulo