Chances of D getting proper runtime reflection?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Aug 23 08:03:12 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-23 16:38, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 8/23/11 12:55 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>>
>>> A static method of whom?
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Well, "register" currently an instance method of Serializer so I would
>> change it to be a static method of Serializer.
>
> I think the ability of a class to be serialized would be independent of
> the notion of a serializer. To me, "this class is serializable" really
> means "this class has metadata associated with it that allows interested
> parties to serialize it". But perhaps this is splitting hairs.
>
> Andrei

You don't want to have it in the class and don't want it in the
serializer. I mean, it needs to be stored somewhere and I thought that a
static method in Serializer would better than a completely global function.

Are you thinking about having another serialization library that can use
this information as well? I'm not sure if that's good idea, different
serialization implementations might need to do very different things
with the information.

--
/Jacob Carlborg