A few comments about D

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:48:30 PDT 2011

On 8/23/11, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> I certainly hope so. That's desperately needed for certain domains.

It would be super-useful for audio programming. If someone were to
write a VST audio plugin for use in some music sequencer (Ableton
Live, Steinberg Cubase, etc), they would have to guarantee there are
*zero* pauses while the plugin is processing audio. It /might/ be ok
to do any collections when the plugin is idling, and there's a way to
check that in the VST SDK. But the biggest concern to me are implicit
calls to GC due to e.g. array concatenation.

I was planning on making a D wrapper library for the VST protocol, but
until this is sorted out I think I'll just stay away from it for now.
I don't want to have fingers pointed at me when someone writes a VST
plug that ends up crashing some user's sequencer due to a GC
collection (and more likely than not the companies who make sequencers
would get fingers pointed at, which is bad).