etc.curl: Formal review begin

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Aug 23 14:33:08 PDT 2011

On 8/17/2011 4:12 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
> the etc.curl module by Jonas Drewsen is at the front of the review queue.

Thanks for doing this. I preface my remarks with saying I have never done http:
programming and know little about it.

1. The first, most obvious thing I'd like to do is present a URL and get a
string back that is the contents of that web page:

     string contents = getURL("http://www.digitalmars.com");

and contents[] should be the web page; what I'd see if I opened it in a browser
and selected "view source". From perusing the etc.curl doc I have absolutely no
idea how to do this.

2. I'd like to get the contents as an input range, which I can then iterate like
any other range.

3. A lot of web sites like twitter.com have an API. How do I access that API from D?

4. How do I download a file from ftp?

    ubyte[] file = downloadFile("ftp://www.digitalmars.com/whatever.zip");

5. I'd like an NNTP interface so I can get and post newsgroup messages from D,
though I suspect that is beyond the scope of etc.curl.