etc.curl: Formal review begin

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Aug 23 16:38:48 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 15:17 Walter Bright wrote:
> > 40 characters is disgustingly narrow. We may need to cut examples to that
> > sort of length for the sake of e-books, but I'm willing to bet that
> > something like 3/4 of the examples would have to be wrapped because of
> > that. It's a serious downgrade for anyone reading them on a computer.
>
> It's not that bad. I did it for the Digital Mars C examples.
>
> I just want to make the point that the Phobos implementation code will
> necessarily follow a different formatting style than the example code. It's
> just a fact of life, and it isn't just for ebooks. Take a look at any
> programming book, magazine article, etc.
>
> Vertical space is also at a premium for example code.

Well, I've been keeping documentation (including examples) to a hard limit of
80 characters, whereas the actual code only has a soft limit of 80 characters.
I understand if examples have to have a shorter line limit due to how they're
presented, but the shorter the limit, the more restrictive and annoying it
gets.

- Jonathan M Davis