Chances of D getting proper runtime reflection?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Aug 24 01:10:33 PDT 2011

Am 24.08.2011, 08:58 Uhr, schrieb Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com>:

> On 2011-08-24 08:41, Marco Leise wrote:

>>> It could be used for network transmissions. Correct me if I'm wrong
>>> but Orange serializes the entire object. When sending things over the
>>> network or when saving something to disk for that matter you most
>>> likely are only interested in serializing some of the fields of an
>>> object. I really think it would be nice to declaratively mark fields
>>> as serializable for certain purposes e.g.:
>>>
>>> class Foo {
>>> int a; // Send over network and saved to file
>>> int b; // Saved to file
>>> ubyte[] cache; // not to be serialized
>>> }
>>>
>>> mixin(serialize!(Network, Foo, a);
>>>
>>> mixin(serialize!(File, Foo, a);
>>> mixin(serialize!(File, Foo, b);
>>>
>>> // but still support not specifying each field
>>> class Bar { int a; }
>>> mixin(serialize!(File, Bar));
>>>

>>> Another way would be to just declare a class as serializable and then
>>> for each serialization type (ie. Network, File) declare that they
>>> should skip a field. Actually I think I better like this approach
>>> since it would allow decoupling of serialization type and the
>>> declaration of serializability.
>>>
>>> /Jonas
>>
>> These are good points Jonas. It's a good idea to read up on
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialization
>> I used Java for a while and I they have their reasons to require a
>> 'tag'/'annotation'/'interface' on serializable classes.
>>
>> Java's choice to not make serializable a default is explained in short
>> like this:
>> - structures like threads or files cannot maintain their semantics when
>> serialized
>> - classes and libraries change over time, this adds extra work for the
>> maintanance of serializable classes
>> - serialization means externalization of private attributes, even
>> passwords
>>
>> .NET adds the option to mark newly added fields as OptionalField, so a
>> previously serialized instance can be loaded without error.
>> NonSerialized marks a field as not serializable which is what Jonas
>> mentioned. Like Java they work with interfaces to declare methods called
>> after deserialization, so the 'cache' in the above example can be
>> reinitialized correctly.
>
> Orange supports NonSerialized fields and classes, (de)serialization
> events and several other ways to customize the serialization process.
> It's inspired by how serialization in .NET works.
>
> For more information see the Orange unit tests:
> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orange/tree/master/tests

Then I'll clearly use Orange when I have a need for serialization. Nice
work!
I've taken a closer look at
http://dsource.org/projects/orange/wiki/Features and I see that versioning
is still missing. What are your plans there? What happens at the moment
when I deserialize and object with missing/added fields?