Haskell [Was: Re: A few comments about D]

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Aug 24 10:22:02 PDT 2011

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:j32mti$15tp$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Caligo:
>
>> Haskell is one of the most beautiful languages. I wish I had discovered
>> it sooner.
>
> I am now able to write small Haskell programs. It has some features and
> parts that I like significantly (and I'd like some of them in D too!), but
> so far I am not appreciating it much on the whole. It feels almost like a
> "puzzle language", as Forth (almost, but not really). Those operators are
> not easy to find in the documentation, the purpose of all those little
> functions is not easy to remember, and its obsession with purity sometimes
> turns easy things into very complex things (I like purity and
> immutability, but not much inside functions, so I prefer D). It's good for
> some kinds of tasks (Euler Puzzles, certain math tasks, certain
> experiments about types), acceptable for other tasks (some generic
> algorithms, some string processing, etc), and bad for many other purposes,
> so it doesn't feel like a general purpose language. I am sometimes able to
> write very short programs with it, but often they are slow. It's not easy
> for me to tell how much efficient a program will be, once compiled with
> GHC. Keep in mind that I am a newbie of Haskell, so don't take my comments
> too much seriously :-)

Totally agree (and I like your comparion to Forth and the description
"puzzle language"). Haskell is what proved to me that functional programming
should be a feature of an imperative language, but not the fundamental
nature of a language. (FWIW, Smalltalk (and to a much lesser extent, Java)
proved the same to me about OO...and LISP with lists...JS with
minimalism...ok, I'll stop now...Basically I just don't like
pure/"beautiful" languages. They're pretty, but not practical.)