Haskell

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Aug 24 18:23:07 PDT 2011

Jonathan M Davis:

> Don refuses to implement it, because it always creates a new string. He wants
> something like the DIP for writeFrom

99.9% of the times Don is right, but in this case he's wrong. You can't avoid putting a necessary feature (a correctly working toString) just because it's not efficient yet because of a not yet implemented language feature (writeFrom). Making BigInt partially unusable just because Santa Claws isn't here yet isn't an acceptable design decision for a respectable standard library. Basic functionality comes before perceived (or imaginary) efficiency issues.

>I think that there's already a bug on the issue,<

Opened by me, I think.

Bye,
bearophile