Haskell

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Aug 25 16:22:59 PDT 2011

Timon Gehr:

> I have already tried that, but my machine starts swapping and therefore
> I don't get the speedup.

I have "only 2" GB of RAM. I suggest you to just reduce the number, so instead of 1_000_000, to use a smaller number, like 500_000, or smaller.

> What kind of GC would be fastest for that use case?

I am not an expert of GC, but there are tens of different kinds of GCs. I presume a GC that doesn't need to follow the chains is more efficient in this case (Time ago two persons were searching for D GC benchmarks. I suggest them to add this little program to their set of benchmarks). But sometimes it's not bad to give hints n some way to the GC, and change its working strategy for a small piece of code where the programmer knows a large data structure will be built in a focused way.

> Is the current GC
> repeatedly looping over all allocated memory blocks to find the next
> link to follow?

I think it is doing something like that.

Bye,
bearophile