[OT] Threading (Was: bug covering other bug)

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 26 21:44:16 PDT 2011

On Friday, August 26, 2011 9:29:47 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:08:45 +0300, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mariusz Gliwiński: http://codepad.org/9uZf3E1N
>> bearophile: http://codepad.org/j84TLFC8
>>
>> It happens 90% of the time when bear replies.
>
> That doesn't mean it's his fault.
>
> I think I see the problem:
>
> 1. Mariusz posts via the mailing-list interface. The original Message ID is <7480573.bRnhgVsvUV at magdalene>.
> 2. The mailing-list interface replaces the Message ID with its own.
> 3. Bearophile replies via the newsgroup. His client puts the mailing list's Message ID in the References header.
>
> Thus, when you receive Bearophile's post, the message IDs don't match, because you've received Mariusz' original Message
> ID via the list interface.
>
> It's definitely not Bearophile's fault, his client's fault, and there is nothing Bearophile can do to prevent it. To fix
> it, ask Brad to do something about
 this (disable Message ID replacement? make the interface do a bidirectional Message
> ID mapping in both Message-ID and References headers?), or stop using the mailing list interface, which is obviously
> just a shoddy frontend to the NNTP server.

I don't think the mailing list software is what's at fault.  There's
_tons_ of people who use it, myself included obviously.  If it was a
general problem with the list software (mailman, probably the most
popular list management software out there), it'd be a lot more
prevelant.  Try again.