[OT] Threading (Was: bug covering other bug)

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Aug 26 23:28:52 PDT 2011

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 09:01:21 +0300, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> On 8/26/2011 10:29 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:44:16 +0300, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think the mailing list software is what's at fault.  There's
>>> _tons_ of people who use it, myself included obviously.  If it was a
>>> general problem with the list software (mailman, probably the most
>>> popular list management software out there), it'd be a lot more
>>> prevelant.  Try again.
>>
>> Did you even read my explanation?
>>
>> There is no room for doubt that the mailing list is replacing message
>> IDs. The message ID has "mailman" and
>> "puremagic.com" in it, for crying out loud.
>>
>> If you're so damn confident that Mailman is absolutely perfect and
>> cannot be flawed, have you considered that it might
>> be a problem with how you've set it up?
>
> Way to get unnecessarily emotional.. relax a little.
>
> I did read your mail.  I was reacting to your over generalization that
> the list software is "just a shoddy frontend to
> the nntp server" and that people should stop using it.  I never claimed
> it couldn't be buggy.

I advised Andrej to stop using it if the issue was bothering him. I did
not imply that everyone should stop using it. Such conversion issues are
nearly unavoidable with gateways between different message
formats/protocols, so I wasn't criticizing Mailman or this particular
set-up, but the idea in general. "Try again." came off as arrogant
dismissal to me. I may have over-reacted.

> The bug report that Jerome dug up is interesting, and also helps further
> my point, it's not a general problem with all
> messages between the nntp and smtp gateways.  It seems to require
> cross-posting.  That would match better with the
> frequency of occurrence of the problem, both are fairly rare.

Was your message cross-posted? Because its Message-ID is
<mailman.2541.1314424921.14074.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>. List
subscribers probably got a message with a different Message-ID (the real
one).

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net