etc.curl: Formal review begin

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Aug 29 14:08:20 PDT 2011

On 8/29/11 3:46 PM, jdrewsen wrote:
[sni]

Thanks for taking my comments in stride.

>> * verbose, dataTimeout etc. don't have corresponding properties for
>> reading.
> I general all the settings are simply set directly in libcurl itself.
> Libcurl only has a function for setting options and not one for getting
> them. This means that I would have to keep a copy of the setting myself
> just to make it readable which i judged was not the way to go. This is
> why they are read only. This is one of the reasons why I see a wrapper
> for libcurl as just temporary solution to a native networking library i D.
[snip]

I looked around and it seems getopt is a moderately commonly asked
feature for libcurl. However, since it hasn't been implemented for
years, you probably made the right call to not provide shadow members.

Regarding a native library vs. libcurl, honest I think your
implementation is here to stay, so it's great that you've spent (and
still are spending) time to make it compelling. Libcurl is a powerful,
mature library that leaves little incentive for a native implementation
written from scratch. Also, the author is cooperative and willing to
help distribution matters.

Regarding the post with callback examples, it would be great to show how
to transmit some data one chunk at a time. The change is minimal and
there's no more potential overflow.

Looking forward to the revised version!

Thanks,

Andrei