method returning child, doesn't overrides declared method returning parent

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 09:43:04 PDT 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:29:59 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

>> When I write code that derives from a base class, I'm declaring with
>> override that I want to implement the base class' function.
>> When I write code that implements an interface, I'm declaring with
>> override that I want to implement the interface's function.
>
>  From the cycle "deadpan answers": I think one should use "override"
> when one wants to override.

Then your description of cases where override helps prevent bugs should
reflect that:

(a) User thinks she overrides a specific method but instead introduces a
new one.

(b) User thinks she introduces a new method but instead overrides one.

I consider implementing an interface method to be hooking, since you are
hooking calls from said interface.

I guess if we want to avoid solving all hooking problems, even those where
one does not intend to implement an interface, but accidentally does, or
introduce large annoyances where someone changes a widely used interface
to an abstract class, then I guess the status quo is good.

-Steve