etc.curl: Formal review begin

jdrewsen jdrewsen at nospam.com
Tue Aug 30 10:22:27 PDT 2011

Den 29-08-2011 23:08, Andrei Alexandrescu skrev:
> On 8/29/11 3:46 PM, jdrewsen wrote:
[snip]
> I looked around and it seems getopt is a moderately commonly asked
> feature for libcurl. However, since it hasn't been implemented for
> years, you probably made the right call to not provide shadow members.

I'll keep it that way then.

> Regarding a native library vs. libcurl, honest I think your
> implementation is here to stay, so it's great that you've spent (and
> still are spending) time to make it compelling. Libcurl is a powerful,
> mature library that leaves little incentive for a native implementation
> written from scratch. Also, the author is cooperative and willing to
> help distribution matters.

The curl wrappers usefullness will not go away any time soon. I do think
that phobos would benefit from a pre/reactor based design with native
http/ftp etc. support though. A step in that direction could render the
curl wrapper less attractive in the future.

> Regarding the post with callback examples, it would be great to show how
> to transmit some data one chunk at a time. The change is minimal and
> there's no more potential overflow.
ok

Walter suggested that I should write an article about using the wrapper.
I've now taken the first steps on writing such an article. I will have
to get the library API rock stable before I can finish it though.

> Looking forward to the revised version!
Lots of work to do it seems :)

/Jonas