Article about problems & suggestions for D 2.0

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Aug 30 12:34:24 PDT 2011

On Aug 27, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:

> After having used the D 2.0 programming language for a year now and having completed 3 projects with it, I wrote a small article about the problems I had with the D 2.0 programming language and what suggestions I have to improve it.

"Either the builtin assert should be configureable so that it triggers a breakpoint before throwing the exception, or there sould be a way to built a custom assert"

You can use core.exception.setAssetHandler to override the default assert behavior.  This is deprecated, however, because to my knowledge no one has ever used it and because you can't actually return from this handler--you must throw.  This is because DMD doesn't generate a valid call stack around the assert call for efficiency reasons.