etc.curl: Formal review begin

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Tue Aug 30 13:34:29 PDT 2011

Am 30.08.2011, 20:48 Uhr, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu
<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:

>> std.file.copy is synchronous. Would the suggestion then be to change it
>> to be
>> asynchronous or to create a second function (e.g. copyAsync) which does
>> an
>> asynchrous copy?
>
> I think std.file.copy should do whatever the heck is best to copy a
> file. As such, it should be transparently asynchronous. It would be
> great if such a task caught your fancy - and don't forget to test speed
> under a few circumstances.
>
> Andrei

I expect the performance to degrade if you copy asynchronously on a single
HDD, since more seeking is involved. If that is true, then only an
identification of the source and destination media through operating
system APIs can yield optimal performance.