etc.curl: Formal review begin

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Wed Aug 31 13:53:12 PDT 2011

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>This will happen all the more if you have multiple threads.
>
>You clearly have a good expertise on OS, I/O, and related matters, and
>I am honoured by your presence and by the value you're adding to this
>group. However, in this particular argument you're only firing blanks.
>Are you sure you have a case?
>

>Andrei

So why don't we benchmark this?
Here's a first, naive attempt:
https://gist.github.com/1184671

There's not much to do for the sync implementation, but the async one
should maybe keep a pool of buffers and reuse those. However, the async
implementation was already ~10% faster in simple tests (copying a 700mb
ubuntu .iso; source and target on the same harddisk). I wouldn't have
expected this, but it seems the async copy is actually be faster.

--
Johannes Pfau