NotNull pointers

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Aug 31 21:18:16 PDT 2011

Steven Schveighoffer:

> Currently, the empty main() program is 256k.  Add in writeln("hello,
> world") and it adds 500k. Even if I had 10,000 asserts in there for
> objects, that adds 150k.
>
> I think bloat can't possibly be a valid concern here.

Bytes are not enough to measure "bloat". You also need to keep in account where the bloat is. If the bloat means functions that never get called and are physically collocated far from the hot function, then this bloat is not hurting much. If your bloat is instead spread inside hot function and close enough to their hot paths, this bloat will cause problems, and slowdown of the program.

Bye,
bearophile