Java > Scala

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Dec 2 01:21:43 PST 2011

On 12/2/2011 12:46 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> Which ones do you want to help with?
>
> What can be treated as a loss leader to gain an income stream?  Writing
> a few emails here and there to try and be constructive in the evolution
> of D is one thing, to actually do something for the codebase or somesuch
> needs time and effort.  I have to focus on what brings in consultancy,
> analysis, training or expert witness gigs.  This all seems to be in the
> Java, Python, C++ and C arena just now.  It therefore makes sense to be
> active in FOSS projects there.
>
> If we can see somewhere where D can gain real traction and become a
> serious player, and where there is an opportunity for some income, I am
> entirely happy to chip in my own time -- as I have with Python, PyPy,
> Groovy, Gant, GPars, Gradle.

I was just asked today to do a 2 day D training seminar, so the demand is out there.

I suggest that a great start would be to simply list D as one of the languages
you offer consultancy on.

I also know that concurrent programming is one area where you have particular
expertise, so advice on how to improve D's support of that can help a lot, too.
Writing an article about it can really help to raise the awareness of D in the
larger community.