The current status of D?

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Dec 2 04:25:02 PST 2011

On 12/02/2011 08:25 AM, Mehrdad wrote:
> On 12/1/2011 1:24 PM, Buk wrote:
>> Is D ready for prime time?
> Idk, the fact that I run across transitive-const-related situations like
> stackoverflow.com/questions/7948612/annoying-transitive-const-ness-issue-in-d
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7948612/annoying-transitive-const-ness-issue-in-d>
>
> makes it so I can't use D at all, since it's hard to go around these
> issues sometimes.

You have to be joking.

> As long as the language suffers from const issues, I think, it won't be
> ready for prime time, since 'const' is supposed to be one of its highest
> strengths, and at the same time it's part-broken.

Its design is not broken and the implementation has almost caught up.
(there are some obscure implicit conversions that should be allowed and
some that shouldn't that DMD does not get right yet.) Please give
objective information (as Jesse Phillips did.)

Regarding you little problem, why did you think using inout would not
work for classes? I just posted an answer on SO that shows that it does.

BTW, I think most features in D are 'supposed to be one of its highest
strengths', by that measure.