Java > Scala

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Fri Dec 2 05:26:41 PST 2011

> I don't know about Andrei, but my degree is in Mechanical Engineering. I
> don't have any formal training in programming.
>
> On the other hand, I was fortunate to have friends at Caltech who were
> very good programmers, and were kind enough to show me the ropes.

I was once a chemist - but they always change into something else. I
think it's immaterial. Computer programming is one of those subjects
where you have to learn new skills at a rate that is probably in excess
of the learning rate at a university, throughout your career. Then to
actually do it you also have to learn a lot of other stuff about
application domains.

I suspect you'd do just as well if you recruited programmers on the basis
of some simple intelligence test and a corresponding test for pragmatism.
Then you give them a book to read and a computer to experiment on, and
you don't treat them like a fool when they come and ask foolish questions
- just be supportive.