Java > Scala

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 06:19:41 PST 2011

On 12/2/2011 3:08 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/1/2011 11:59 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> (*) RPython is a subset of Python which allows for the creation of
>> native code executables of interpreters, compilers, etc. that are
>> provably faster than hand written C. http://pypy.org/
>
> Provably faster?
>
> I can't find support for that on http://pypy.org

http://speed.pypy.org/

Not exactly rigorous mathematical proof, but pretty strong evidence.
Also, I use PyPy once in a while for projects where speed matters a
little but I want to share my code with Python people or want to use
Python's huge standard library.  Anecdotally, it's definitely faster.
The reason has nothing to do with the language it's written in.  It's
because PyPy JIT compiles a lot of the Python code instead of
interpreting it.