Java > Scala -> new thread: GUI for D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Dec 2 12:17:06 PST 2011

"David Gileadi" <gileadis at NSPMgmail.com> wrote in message
news:jbbatc$1ksf$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 12/2/11 12:54 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I've been using WinAmp as my primary player despite my
>> hatred
>> for it because the iTunes lack of Ogg Vorbis support is a deal-breaker
>> for
>> me...
>
> Did you ever try http://xiph.org/quicktime/?  It solved the iTunes ogg
> problem for me.

Yea, I had actually been using that for a long time because at least it adds
*some* vorbis support to iTunes. Unfortunately, it only *barely* works.
There's a ton of issues with it [1], apparently due mostly to problems in
Quicktime and iTunes themselves (which will guaranteed never get fixed
because Apple is perpetually uninterested in anything that isn't "glitz" or
gimmick). Plus it seems to be abandoned (and with the Windows port still
stuck a few versions behind).

It was nice to have iTunes be able to at least *play* vorbis (although not
very well [2]), and *kinda* have library support...sort of...ish..., but I
got tired of it always being so screwy and limited.

[1] http://xiph.org/quicktime/faq.html  One additional thing that's not
mentioned there is that it can't decode & burn vorbis files to audio CDs.

[2] It would go mute whenever any other process got busy. Never happened
with other formats, and never happens in WinAmp even with vorbis.