The current status of D?

torhu no at spam.invalid
Fri Dec 2 12:35:30 PST 2011

On 01.12.2011 22:24, Buk wrote:
> Simple question, though not necessarily a simple answer:
>
> Is D ready for prime time?
>
> Sub-questions:
>
> 1. How stable is the language specification?
> 2. How stable is the language implementation?
> 3. How stable are the standard library specifications?
> 4. How stable are the standard library implantations?
>
> The last time I looked was just after the D1/D2 split, and much of the design
> was being revamped and the rate of changes and deprecations was (IMO) too high
> to consider its use for complex, multi-developer projects.
>
> Looking around the docs here, I see that some of the libraries are due for
> deprecation early next year. Barring surprises, are they likely to be the last
> major changes?
>
> Thanks for your time, buk.

If you want something that's ready for prime time, D1+Tango is what I
would recommend.  I think D2 is not there yet.  The language has gotten
a lot more complex, and as a result of that, they are not quite done
figuring out how to get all of it to fit together yet.  A least that's
my impression. I've used D and followed this newsgroup since 2006, so I
don't think I'm completely clueless.

Some of the new features are not yet implemented, which others have
mentioned.

As for Phobos 2, I don't know what to think yet.  I find it hard to
trust that the template-heavy code is fast, that the compiler can
reliably optimize all those layers away.