Java > Scala

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:15:50 PST 2011

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:15:55 -0800, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 12/2/2011 11:29 AM, Gour wrote:
>> Moreover, developing something from the scratch woudl require enormous
>> amount of time in comparison with *just* providing higher-level D-ish
>> API for some of the already available GUI toolkit.
>
> Developing a D GUI from scratch is way beyond our reach at the moment.
> People have spent enormous efforts developing GUI libraries for other
> platforms, there's no good reason for not leveraging their efforts.

I absolutely agree. However, I don't thank that we should exclude the
possibility of building a scratch library either.

> It's not just the code involved. It's the tutorials, web sites, manuals,
> support, etc., that would have to be reinvented. By developing a D
> interface to an existing one, none of that has to be developed.

This is too true. But if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. You
could say the same thing about compilers, but that didn't stop you ... :-)

My intention is not to draw away any devs who could potentially work on
DMD/Phobos, in fact I want them working hard on those because without them
any work I do is pointless, and in some cases impossible (showstopper bugs
and ICE's are rather annoying like that). I suspect that it'll be a case
of "me, myself, and I" working on a native UI for D for quite some time.
But at the same time, I want to continue to have conversations with the
community at large, probably mostly about design and whatnot. If there are
people who really want to help I won't turn them away, but I'll avoid
actively recruiting to make sure that DMD/Phobos gets first pick, as they
should. Sound good?

--
Adam Wilson
Project Coordinator