Java > Scala

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Dec 2 14:38:43 PST 2011

> On Friday, December 02, 2011 22:44:41 Timon Gehr wrote:

>>> No you are all wrong :p, it takes half a minute for Eclipse to start up.
>>> Yes, this is still more than a native executable would need. Still I use
>>> it for Java, D, JavaScript and PHP. It's awesome! I also sneak in
>>> Eclipse project files into github repositories to make the awesomeness
>>> available to others:
>>> https://github.com/aichallenge/aichallenge/tree/epsilon/eclipse_projects
>>
>> It feels like 5 minutes if you are accustomed to open the text editor
>> and start working.
>>
>> But I am sure there is something to IDE's, as many programmers seem to
>> like them.
>
> They can do wonders with code completion and making it easy to hop to
> declarations and the like. They also are often able to point out errors in
> your code as you're typing it, which can be quite helpful. I frequently miss
> many of the features that IDEs like eclipse have when I code (I do all of my
> coding in vim these days, regardless of the language). But I _really_ value
> the power that vim provides in terms of text editing, and I haven't found an
> IDE yet which I can get to emulate vim well enough to be acceptable in that
> regard, so I don't use them. I'd definitely like to though.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I'm more an emacs guy, and I jump to declarations by (maybe C-x C-f
filename ENTER) M-s \w+ identifier ENTER (and a few C-s for the
occasional false positives), and I can use similar techniques to not
only reach a specific declaration, but any specific position in the
whole code. I don't think that it is any slower than always lifting your
hands from the keyboard in order to be able to use the mouse and slow
IDE functionality.