Java > Scala

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Dec 2 14:57:56 PST 2011

On 12/2/2011 2:15 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:15:55 -0800, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/2/2011 11:29 AM, Gour wrote:
>>> Moreover, developing something from the scratch woudl require enormous
>>> amount of time in comparison with *just* providing higher-level D-ish
>>> API for some of the already available GUI toolkit.
>>
>> Developing a D GUI from scratch is way beyond our reach at the moment. People
>> have spent enormous efforts developing GUI libraries for other platforms,
>> there's no good reason for not leveraging their efforts.
>
> I absolutely agree. However, I don't thank that we should exclude the
> possibility of building a scratch library either.

At some point, a decision has to be made.

Consider that existing successful GUI libraries have had *enormous* resources
poured into them. That just is not possible in the D community right now. And
even if it were, do we really want to wait 5 years for it to be built?

Of course, if someone still wants to develop a D GUI from scratch, nobody is
going to stop them.

>> It's not just the code involved. It's the tutorials, web sites, manuals,
>> support, etc., that would have to be reinvented. By developing a D interface
>> to an existing one, none of that has to be developed.
>
> This is too true. But if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. You could say
> the same thing about compilers, but that didn't stop you ... :-)

Frankly, I think a compiler is much easier to build.

> My intention is not to draw away any devs who could potentially work on
> DMD/Phobos, in fact I want them working hard on those because without them any
> work I do is pointless, and in some cases impossible (showstopper bugs and ICE's
> are rather annoying like that). I suspect that it'll be a case of "me, myself,
> and I" working on a native UI for D for quite some time. But at the same time, I
> want to continue to have conversations with the community at large, probably
> mostly about design and whatnot. If there are people who really want to help I
> won't turn them away, but I'll avoid actively recruiting to make sure that
> DMD/Phobos gets first pick, as they should. Sound good?

That's fine if you want to do that.