Java > Scala

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 15:24:56 PST 2011

On 12/2/11, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> Consider that existing successful GUI libraries have had *enormous*
> resources poured into them.

I think a vast majority of that time was spent dealing with
OS-specific bugs due to the requirement that widgets must look and
feel native to each OS. That, and dealing with C++ shenanigans. But I
think the whole "must look native" stance is now wearing off though
(sorry Nick). Last I've heard, Qt5 was moving to a OpenGL backend, I
don't know how that will compare with native widgets. But hey, even
Microsoft wants to kill of GDI (they've put its docs in the
"deprecated technologies" section).

Virtually every company that wants to differentiate its product uses
some form of a custom GUI that isn't 100% native. Even Microsoft does
that with Office and IE. So I don't see non-native widgets as a big
problem.

Anyway my point was if you don't care about native looks then
implementing a GUI library doesn't have to be a 5-year project,
especially if you have more than one person working on it. People have
already done it before (in D!) - Harmonia, Hybrid and the more recent
Rae (all 3 are in dead-state but they're open-source).