Java > Scala

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Dec 2 22:18:27 PST 2011

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1262.1322866645.24802.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> It's more a question of functionality. I cannot acceptibly jump to
> declarations in vim _period_. Stuff like ctags and cscope absolutely suck
> in
> comparison to a decent IDE, and AFAIK that's all vim really has for
> enabling
> the ability to do stuff like jump to declarations. I don't know if emacs
> uses
> the same underlying programs or whether it does it on its own, so I don't
> know
> how it compares. I'd gladly be hopping to declarations using vim with
> whatever
> shortcut it is if it could actually do it right, but ctags just isn't
> smart
> enough to do it accurately based on function overloading and the like, and
> have to constantly worry about updating it, making sure that the vim
> instance
> that I'm using points to the right ctags file, etc. It just isn't
> acceptable
> IMHO, so I don't bother with it, but vim's other benefits outweigh the
> overall
> benefits of the IDE for me, so I still use vim.
>
> In any case, what I listed were just examples of what a good IDE can do.
> There's plenty of other stuff that you'd probably miss if you had been
> heavily
> using them in an IDE before. But I can completely understand thinking that
> solid text editor is overall better than an IDE, since I use vim for
> precisely
> that reason.

I think the line between IDE and text editor is really blurring these days.
Things like Eclipse and VS.NET are clearly IDE's yea, but then there's a lot
of stuff like Programmer's Notepad 2, Code::Blocks, etc, that are not quite
as fully-featured as Eclipse/VS, but yet they're much more like lightweight
IDEs than text editors per se.