Java > Scala

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sat Dec 3 01:02:21 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 11:51 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
[...]
> The charts on that page refuse to display in IE.

You probably need to tell them about this, they don't have resources to
check stuff other than cursorily, they rely on user feedback.

> Nevertheless, it doesn't seem to compare against C, but against CPython.

I think I may be responsible for a slight
misunderstanding/misrepresentation here. Apologies.

PyPys main short term goal is to become the best realization of the
Python standard; to supplant CPython as the reference implementation.  A
few weeks ago Laura Creighton announced on the PyPy Dev email list that
they had achieved the "5 times faster than CPython" goal on the critical
benchmarks.  The comparison is the RPython implementation of Python vs
the CPython implementation.

It is an avowed goal of the PyPy project that its performance should be
close enough to C that people use PyPy rather than C.  Currently people
can use Cython to write (slightly annotated) Python code that gets
compiled to C and thence to native code to get performance as close to C
as makes no difference.  The intention is to avoid having to annotate
and compile to get the performance.  This is a long term goal for PyPy
and not yet near fruition, hence people using Cythoin for the
performance critical sections.

This is an area where Go and PyPy will be fighting head on.

> > Not exactly rigorous mathematical proof, but pretty strong evidence. Also, I use
> > PyPy once in a while for projects where speed matters a little but I want to
> > share my code with Python people or want to use Python's huge standard library.
> > Anecdotally, it's definitely faster. The reason has nothing to do with the
> > language it's written in. It's because PyPy JIT compiles a lot of the Python
> > code instead of interpreting it.

The PyPy JIT is clearly a "big win".  I am sure Armin will come up with
more stuff :-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk