Java > Scala

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sat Dec 3 18:40:18 PST 2011

On 03.12.2011 21:45, Somedude wrote:
> Le 02/12/2011 23:25, Nick Sabalausky a écrit :
>> "Somedude"<lovelydear at mailmetrash.com>  wrote in message
>> news:jbbglp$2cp0$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> While in Java, the
>>> compilation time is near zero.
>>
>> If you're using Eclipse, in which case the cost isn't gone at all, it's
>> simply shifted to slowed down interaction with the IDE.
>>

> No.
>
>>> The launch time of applications entirely
>>> depends on what you do with them: if it has to open several DB
>>> connections to initialize itself, yes it's sluggish, but that doesn't
>>> have anything to do with the language, rather with the application.
>>
>> So how many hundreds of DB connections is Eclipse apparently opening upon
>> startup?
>>

>>> And JIT compilation, you don't feel it, so it doesn't matter.
>>>

>> Yea you do.
>>

> No.

If you work in an environment where practically all apps are fast,
Eclipse stands out as being slow. The startup time is particularly striking.
I don't see any reason for this. Mostly when you open an IDE you want to
first open a few files, look at them, maybe do some editing.
It ought to be possible to do that within 2 secs of starting the IDE,
while everything else continues to load.
It's unusual to perform a major refactoring of your code base within 10
secs of opening your IDE, but it seems you can't do anything at all,
until everything has been loaded.