Java > Scala

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Dec 3 18:50:44 PST 2011

On Sunday, December 04, 2011 03:40:18 Don wrote:
> On 03.12.2011 21:45, Somedude wrote:
> > Le 02/12/2011 23:25, Nick Sabalausky a écrit :
> >> "Somedude"<lovelydear at mailmetrash.com>  wrote in message
> >> news:jbbglp$2cp0$1 at digitalmars.com...

> >> If you're using Eclipse, in which case the cost isn't gone at all,
> >> it's
> >> simply shifted to slowed down interaction with the IDE.
> >
> > No.

> >> So how many hundreds of DB connections is Eclipse apparently opening
> >> upon startup?

> >> Yea you do.
> >
> > No.
>
> If you work in an environment where practically all apps are fast,
> Eclipse stands out as being slow. The startup time is particularly striking.
> I don't see any reason for this. Mostly when you open an IDE you want to
> first open a few files, look at them, maybe do some editing.
> It ought to be possible to do that within 2 secs of starting the IDE,
> while everything else continues to load.
> It's unusual to perform a major refactoring of your code base within 10
> secs of opening your IDE, but it seems you can't do anything at all,
> until everything has been loaded.

It's certainly a problem if the IDE loads slowly, but in my experience, most
people open it and leave it open, so while it _is_ annoying when you open it,
and it _does_ give the IDE a bad first impression, the load time often really
doesn't matter much as far as really affecting normal work goes.

- Jonathan M Davis