Java > Scala

Somedude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sat Dec 3 21:34:48 PST 2011

Le 03/12/2011 19:55, Walter Bright a écrit :
> On 12/3/2011 1:19 AM, Somedude wrote:
>> So maybe they can hope to reach LuaJIT speed in the near future, but
>> before reaching C speed, I suppose there is a long way to go.
>
> About 7-8 years ago, I attended a conference where a Java guru made a
> nice presentation about how Java was unfairly characterized as slow, and
> that improved JIT technology had solved the speed problems.
>
> But he also said that closing the performance gap with C was 10 years
> out, and laughingly said it would likely always be 10 years out :-)

Yeah, when I wrote "I suppose there is a long way to go", I really
thought "it's not going to happen".

The overall Java/Hotspot performance hasn't really improved since
version 1.4.2, which is almost 10 years old now. The only noticeable
perf improvements are in the sector of better, more tunable GC. The JVMs
from IBM and Oracle (before buying Sun) aren't particularly faster. I
think this is a good indication that we have reached some limit in what
the current generation of bytecode interpreters can do. I don't expect
any JIT language to top that.