is d-runtime non-gc safe?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sun Dec 4 00:10:07 PST 2011

Am 03.12.2011, 19:47 Uhr, schrieb Andrej Mitrovic
<andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com>:

> On 12/3/11, Marco Leise <Marco.Leise at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Am 03.12.2011, 19:05 Uhr, schrieb Andrej Mitrovic
>> <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> +1 on interest on having this. Back when I was attempting to port VST
>>> to D I got asked by a Steinberg dev how I can guarantee that D plugins
>>> will work. But I couldn't guarantee it, if a GC collection were to run
>>> the plugin would freeze, the host would crash, and the host company
>>> would likely get the blame.
>>
>> You'll get some angry comments on this one by others. I'll lean back and
>> enjoy the show :D
>>

> I don't follow..?

Hmm, and no one commented either. I thought someone would jump in and say
that you could disable the GC and that malloc isn't realtime either and
for that reason the host application should not crash when a plugin
doesn't deliver in time. The audio should stutter and that's it. So: no
realtime guarantees whatsoever on consumer OSs, but a high probability
that it will just work.