Java > Scala -> new thread: GUI for D

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sun Dec 4 01:40:10 PST 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 13:16 -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[...]

A few thoughts based mainly from Python use perspective.

> #1: wx: Because it uses native controls on pretty much all platforms.

wxWidgets appears to have the need in the C++ API for the programmer to
number each widget individually in order to access it, and the parameter
passing gets messy.  The wxPython API get around a lot of this by being
able to do lots of dynamic binding and parameter passing tricks.
wxWidgets and wxPython have licences amenable to being used for
proprietary software without cost.

> #2: qt: Because for a non-native UI, it at least does a good job of getting
> the look & feel right. And I've heard that the API is nice.

Qt4 and PySide appear to have good cross-platform capabilities, but
clearly look like Qt applications on all platforms.  C++ API is awkward
compared to the PySide API, again because of dynamic binding and
parameter tricks.  PyQt has an unfriendly licence for anyone wishing to
make proprietary systems.

[...]
> #84,259,254: gtk: Because it doesn't give a rat's ass about native anything,
> plus it's just plain ugly (read: big-n-chunky) on all platforms, even Gnome.

GTKmm is not that bad.  PyGTK makes it very much nicer.  On Gnome GTK
stuff looks fine.  Doesn't port well to OS X and Windows though, which
is why most people plump for Qt.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk