Java > Scala

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sun Dec 4 06:26:39 PST 2011

On 02.12.2011 22:02, Adam Wilson wrote:
> [...]
>>> serious discussions about how to design such a project.
>>
>> /me nods
>>
>>> Personally, my UI design background tends away from traditional style
>>> toolkits like wxD and DWT, and as such I would probably want to take
>>> the project in a different direction than those.
>>
>> Interesting...
>>
>>> For example, all of our software at work is built on WPF and I can say
>>> that I completely believe that WPF style UI toolkits are the way of
>>> the future.
>>
>> Hmm...but WPF is Windows-only, right?
>>
>> Moreover, developing something from the scratch woudl require enormous
>> amount of time in comparison with *just* providing higher-level D-ish
>> API for some of the already available GUI toolkit.
>>
>> On top of that, I believe that the best forces available within D-army
>> are now focused on improving DMD/Phobos, so don't know how many soldiers
>> are ready into going developing something new.
>>
>> Let me say, that when the time matures, I'm definitely to have some
>> solution more suitable for D and its advantages over e.g. C(++), but for
>> now I believe that just having some pragmatic solution in the form of
>> actively-worked-on project covering one of the {gtk,qt,wx}.
>>

> WPF is Windows only, and that is probably my biggest gripe with it
> outside of the numerous, and serious, implementation flaws. The closest
> you can get to WPF on Linux is Moonlight, and that is limited compared
> to what WPF can do. Argh!
>
> That is true, but there are already two projects out their to accomplish
> that, and I personally would have no problem with anyone who wanted to
> work on those instead, they are useful and allow something to be built
> in the near-term, which will significantly help D. But I, nor my
> company, can do much of anything short term in D. Specifically, we are
> still developing our projects in C# and our product life-cycles are very
> long (10+ years) and a GUI toolkit isn't the only thing missing in terms
> of what we need to port. So I am thinking much longer term here.
>
> It absolutely will take time, lots of it, but in the end, I feel that D
> will be much better positioned in the long-run to take serious market
> share if it has a state-of-the-art UI toolkit. Toolkits like wxD and DWT
> absolutely have a place, but the big players are moving away from that
> model of UI creation, as the news about QML demonstrates. QML is
> obviously early, but it's headed down the same path as JavaFX and
> WPF/Silverlight.
>
> The reason I want to start now is that it's still early in the evolution
> of declarative UI's. WPF is only 5 years old, but it took MS about 300
> programmers and 4 years to build, and it's the oldest implementation of
> that type of UI that I know of outside academia. Given how long it took,
> starting now is better than starting later. The earlier you show up to
> market with what people want, the bigger market share you grab. That's

Not sure about that. If you start later, you can learn more from the
mistakes of others.

> My intention is not to draw away any devs who could potentially work on
> DMD/Phobos, in fact I want them working hard on those because without
> them my work is pointless, and in some cases impossible (showstopper
> bugs and ICE's are rather annoying like that). I suspect that it'll be a
> case of "me, myself, and I" working on a declarative UI for D for quite
> some time. But at the same time, I want to continue to have
> conversations with the community at large, probably mostly about design
> and whatnot. If there are people who really want to help I won't turn
> them away, but I'll avoid actively recruiting to make sure that
> DMD/Phobos gets first pick, as they should. Sound good?

The history of D libraries is tragic -- there have been many ambitious
projects, which have ended up being abandoned. (Actually I think this is
pretty widespread in open source, not specific to D). I would hate for
that list to get any longer.
The successful D projects have, as far as I know, always used a
bottom-up approach.
So I would recommend to try to carve a small aspect off from the large
GUI problem, and implement that. And do it so well that everyone wants
to use it.