Java > Scala -> new thread: GUI for D

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sun Dec 4 09:21:29 PST 2011

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 12:00 -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[...]

> >PyQt has an unfriendly licence for anyone wishing to
> >make proprietary systems.
>
> I didn't know that. Do you know if that's specific to PyQt, or inhereted
> from Qt?

As David pointed out, PyQt stayed GPL and commercial licence when Qt
went to LGPL and commercial licence.  People with money can just pay for
the commercial licences of course, but the fact that PyQt didn't switch
to LGPL when Qt did annoyed a lot of people.  Sifficient to start teh
PySide project.

[...]
> What I meant about Gnome is just that, IMO, everthing on Gnome looks all
> big-n-chunky with way too much padding. YMMV.

It depends on the engine you use.  For Gnome 2 I used thinice which gets
rid of all the chunkyness.  For Gnome 3 I am using Adwaita which is a
bit chunkier but not too much so -- and I am a person who thinks that
chunkyness is anathema not just a bad thing.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk