Immutable Message Passing

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 4 17:32:17 PST 2011

On Monday, December 05, 2011 11:46:29 Graham St Jack wrote:
> My vote is for something like immutable(Object) ref, as Andrew suggested
> earlier. This would allow mutable references to immutable objects to be
> passed through a message channel without nasty typecasting.
>
> std.typecons.Rebindable has always been an ugly hack that doesn't quite
> do the job. Certainly every attempt I have made to use it has ended
> unhappily, and I end up redesigning to not pass objects between threads.
>
> What is the status of the immutable(Object) ref proposal? Is it on the
> list of things to do, or is it ruled out? If it is ruled out, then what
> is the superior proposal?

Michel Fortin implemented it and created a pull request for it a number of
months ago, but it has yet to go anywhere. I don't know if Walter has even
looked at it yet. But it's a big enough change that he's probably going to
want to study it in detail, so my guess is that he's been putting it off.

- Jonathan M Davis