Immutable Message Passing

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sun Dec 4 17:32:21 PST 2011

On 12/05/2011 02:16 AM, Graham St Jack wrote:
> My vote is for something like immutable(Object) ref, as Andrew suggested
> earlier. This would allow mutable references to immutable objects to be
> passed through a message channel without nasty typecasting.
>
> std.typecons.Rebindable has always been an ugly hack that doesn't quite
> do the job. Certainly every attempt I have made to use it has ended
> unhappily, and I end up redesigning to not pass objects between threads.

You are right of course. I was just pointing out that there is already
an ugly hack of the same kind in Phobos.

> What is the status of the immutable(Object) ref proposal? Is it on the
> list of things to do, or is it ruled out? If it is ruled out, then what
> is the superior proposal?

It is not fully implemented and apparently Walter would like a different
solution, because it is quite ugly. But I think there hasn't been
another proposal yet.

There is a pull request that partly implements it:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3