rt_finalize WTFs?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 4 21:09:29 PST 2011

On Sunday, December 04, 2011 23:41:08 dsimcha wrote:
> Thanks for the benchmark.  I ended up deciding to just create a second
> function, rt_finalize_gc, that gets rid of a whole bunch of cruft that
> isn't necessary in the GC case.  I think it's worth the small amount of
> code duplication it creates.  Here are the results of my efforts so far:
>   https://github.com/dsimcha/druntime/wiki/GC-Optimizations-Round-2 .
> I've got one other good idea that I think will shave a few seconds off
> the Tree1 benchmark if I don't run into any unforeseen obstacles in
> implementing it.

It's best to avoid code duplication in general, but I'd argue that if only a
small amount of code duplication is required to get a big gain from the GC,
it's well worth it. In general, anything we can do to improve the GC is
worthwhile, since it's _the_ place where D risks being inefficient in comparison
to languages such as C++.

- Jonathan M Davis