javascript (was Re: Java > Scala -> new thread: GUI for D)

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Dec 4 23:56:21 PST 2011

On 2011-12-05 07:59, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Jacob Carlborg"<doob at me.com>  wrote in message
> news:jbglgs$2no2$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> I think CoffeeScript works really well, it's been around a while and it's
>> the default way to handle JavaScript in Rails 3.1 and later versions (SASS
>> is the default way of handling CSS).
>
> That seems slightly strange to me since Ruby is not an indent-syntax
> langauge. I would have expected something like Django to be more likely to
> standardize on on SASS/CoffeeScript.

I think they're good languages, regardless of the indent-syntax or not.
CoffeeScript and Ruby share a couple of language features that I'm not
sure if Python does:

* Instance variables start with @ (shortcut for "this." in CS)

* Functions can be called without parentheses (they have to take at
least one argument in CS)

* Braces around hashes are optional
* No need to declare variables
* Existential operator
* Trailing if-statements

On the other hand, CoffeeScript and Python shares a couple of features
as well:

* Indentations are used for scopes
* Array comprehension

I'm not very familiar with Python.

BTW, SASS comes with two syntaxes, SCSS and SASS. SCSS is a superset of
CSS and uses braces for scope and semicolons, just as CSS. SASS uses
indentation and no semicolons. SCSS is the default in Rails 3.1.

--
/Jacob Carlborg