Java > Scala -> new thread: GUI for D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Dec 5 09:05:31 PST 2011

"Somedude" <lovelydear at mailmetrash.com> wrote in message
news:jbhquu$1mj2$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Le 04/12/2011 21:24, Jacob Carlborg a écrit :
>>
>> But the problem remains, CoffeeScript compiles to JavaScript so you are
>> still limited by JS.
>>
> What about Lua ?
> I find it pretty powerful for such a small language. And I do think it
> makes sens to base a GUI on a scripting language.

I'm with John Carmack on this one (not that I always agree with him): Using
scripting for parts of your program just encourages the team to have
non-programmers writing production code, and that's never a good thing
(hell, there's a lot of *actual* programmers who don't even know what
they're doing). And if the only people writing code are real programmers,
they may as well just use a real langauge.

> As for the choice of
> Javascript with Qt, the choice is obvious: the goal is to be able to
> write once and run anywhere (i.e on desktop, on mobile devices AND on
> the web).

That's a poor reason to aid in the proliferation of such a terrible
language. It's also a poor reason to write one's own software in such a bad
langauge. What's needed is for JS on the web to be replaced with a real
langauge, or at least a sensible one (or better yet, for this "web as an
applications platform" idiocy to finally end, but that's a separate matter).

I don't see the goal as being "write once and run anywhere" anyway. The goal
is to write software that doesn't suck. Granted, "write once and run
anywhere" is a worthwhile goal, but it's only secondary. It's a total wash
if the methods used to achieve it result in either development problems or
just simply the software sucking, both of which are likely to happen when
adopting JS as a production language.