Java > Scala

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:48:44 PST 2011

On 12/6/11, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> Doesn't sound very effective.

I don't know what that bubbling is all about. You can easily intercept
a signal to a child window via std.signals, in Qt this would be
installing an event filter of some sort. So sink/bubble seems
unnecessary.

The library is far from being efficient. It recreates a main window
memory buffer on each paint message from the OS (IOW very often), also
unless I'm mistaken the widgets themselves don't have a backbuffer so
the library assumes their paint routines are not expensive. But that's
fixable.

I don't know why HTML was used, although that's just an alternative
front-end to the library as far as I can tell. It does seem like this
library died pretty quickly, I don't recall of any projects that used
it.

Anyway, I don't know if Adam wants to work on a native or non-native
GUI, for native ones in pure-D (not a wrapper over existing GUIs) he
can look at DFL or something else from here:
http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GuiLibraries

But the library is modular enough and could be used as a starting point, imo.